- If you sometimes feel like it was pure, ridiculous hubris that you ever started a story that would take so much work and persistence to finish, I promise you, you’re not alone.
- If you feel like you’ve already been writing forever and the “good bits” are still ages away, you’re not alone.
- If you’ve been stuck for days or weeks or longer because you know what happens later but you don’t know what happens next, you’re not alone.
- If you’re desperate to squeal about your beloved OTP but you feel like you can’t, because spoilers, and it’s driving you nuts, you’re not alone.
- If you feel like you’ll never finish and you’re bound to fuck it up somehow, you’re not alone.
- If you wonder if you’ve sabotaged yourself because who’s going to click through to a 28 chapter WIP, you’re not alone.
- If you feel like you’ve been pouring your life into a single story for ages and will be for ages still and you don’t know why anymore because hardly anyone seems to care, you’re not alone.
- If you can hardly even plan the further-away parts of the story or even think about them because thinking about them reminds you how absurdly far you still have to go and you get massive anxiety, please believe me. You are not alone.
Dear longfic writers
- I fucking live for your work. Like I love me a little one-shot or a medium-length fic but srsly give me that 100k+ (200k? 300k? yes pls) goodness.
- I am constantly in awe of your ability to stick with your story, to keep your plot moving and your characters’ relationships developing like just damn.
- I don’t judge if your updates are erratic. If you’re worried about too much time passing between updates, just know that I and so many others squeal with joy when we get that subscriber notification in our inboxes.
- There is literally nothing more glorious than watching characters develop through a long-ass fic. Relationships, friendships, character growth? Sometimes after I’ve finished a longfic or I’ve gotten to the last update I’ll go back and reread the first couple chapters just to see how far my babies have come.
- If you stop updating your fic for whatever reason, that’s okay. We as readers are just lucky to have been graced with your story as long as you chose to write it. You’ve been gifting us with time and effort for this long and we appreciate it.
- As someone who has had multiple longfic ideas and either (1) got through two chapters and gave up or (2) was too overwhelmed by how much work it would take to actually write, you are my literal superheroes.
- You are brave and persistent and creative and a gift to fandom, and if you ever need a pep talk I am here to love on you.
Yes. All of this. God bless writers of longfic, you’ve been helping me survive winter for years now.
Bless this post 📚📖
i’ve coined a new term. the opposite of a slowburn is a flash-fry. it’s when two characters immediately jump into bed together with only extremely limited buildup or none at all.
“But you mustn’t be afraid to ask me anything. If I held something too close… If I held something too close for you to ask about it, I would not bring it up in the first place.”
Louis de Pointe du Lac, Interview with the Vampire
“Read between the lines.”
Lestat de Lioncourt, The Vampire Lestat
I’ve revisited and revised my circa-2000 Interview with the Vampire fic. The first three chapters are up on AO3 now. More to come as I continue to fix up the chapters and post them.
These years have been chronicled already, of course, in the sad little memoir Interview with the Vampire, spun from the lips of my beloved fledgling Louis de Pointe du Lac. He gave a deeply felt if rather inconsiderate account of how I, cast as the callous villain of his tale, made him a vampire… Yet his story is riddled with mistakes, misunderstandings, and vast omissions. These omissions could only be deliberate, though whether he left things out due to discretion or due to regret, I still don’t know and can’t bear to ask.
But I can no longer look at that crippled little paperback on my shelf without wishing to tell my own version of that time, most particularly the secret history between us that Louis could not bring himself to relate. Even if the tale remains only here, in the cloistered space between my own eyes and the window of my computer screen, it must be told.
As a reader, as a writer, and as a fan I can’t think of a single website that has given me more happiness than Archive of Our Own. Thank you so much to everyone who works so hard to make it such a wonderful place.
you ever start rereading your WIP to get in the mood and write more and you get so caught up that when you get to the end you’re like “bitch? where’s the rest?” and you realize you’re the bitch and you have to write it
Hey! Thanks, doing well. Hope you are, too.
What do I think about Amel… I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I find the idea of him in the earlier books and his role in the vampire origin story fascinating on a spiritual and physiological level, a cosmic accident being the reason for vampires is still, to my mind, a very unique take on that. I liked his interactions with mortals before he fused with Akasha, and I liked the idea of him as an intellectually dormant substance that bound all the vampires together.
^Later, when Amel became conscious, I also was intrigued by the concept of him riding along with one specific vampire but able to run around the web of them on visits. I wrote two fics post-PL in which Lestat deals with this.
A Brief Reprieve – After the events of Prince Lestat, Lestat reflects on certain aspects of his new spirit animal, snuggled up lovingly with Armand by a fire in winter. Slightly AU in that they are snuggled up together lovingly by a fire in winter!
Bad Connection – Daniel and Lestat are out on the town when Amel decides to join them. He is very much a painful third wheel, and Daniel has to help Lestat through the attack.
On the other hand, I struggle to buy Amel’s backstory according to PL&PLROA, and I didn’t personally need him to be more special than he already was, being a spirit and indefinable, with nebulous origins, that was fine for me. But more power to the ppl who liked his backstory!
I’ve only seen a few pieces of Amel fanart, but it exists! I’m about to reblog one but check my #Amel tag for the rest.
Anyone else have Amel fanart? Tag me or send the link over 😀
Reblog if you want a terrible, 3 sentence fan fiction in your ask, based on your url
THIS HAS OVER 40,000 NOTES AND WITHIN FIFTEEN MINUTES I FOUND THIS IN MY MESSAGES:
“and then i saw him walk across the room. he got very close to me and whispered “back that sass up”“
80,000 NOTES AND I GOT ONE!
He descended upon me, that pink archangel, with those pink and ripe nipples. “
“Oh not. Not another fire bender!” I said to myself. But then he came up behind me and grabbed my ass. So he’s cool now I guess
HALF AN HOUR AT MOST
“Its okay,” he said leaning his walking stuck against the wall and removing the young man’s glasses “ let me frost your roll” matt the blind cinnamon roll blushes as his core softened for his new lover.
“loki looked both ways, making sure it was safe to cross the bifrost before shouting, “lesbians assemble”
GOT ONE, a few hours later!!1!
‘So then Lestat broke into the room followed by a fed up Louis “I WANT MY INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE” He shout, the movie wasnt even edited yet’
that feeling when you find a long ass fic that’s well-written and updates regularly