Hello all, we got a great turnout this year! Your mods are now working on assignments and should send them out early next week, definitely by Nov. 24. Thanks to everyone for joining 😀
In the meantime, you can dig around in the archives for inspiration, if you like!
Thank u! ❤
#every time I see this picture I am briefly overwhelmed#this piece of art outlived its context and milieu#but. but. in reality there is no such thing#because art is made anew with every glance. it comes to life. awakens laughing#and time compresses. softens. the past is not so much a mystery if we remember we weren’t the first to dance.#this is what art is for#this is what it can do#it doesn’t only speak to us of our own humanity#it reminds us that humanity is shared. this girl isn’t dancing in a mirror. she is dancing with a friend.#paintings don’t simply show us the world. they help teach us how to live in it.
From In Powder and Crinoline : old fairy tales retold. By Arthur Quiller-Couch; illustrated by Kay Nielsen
James Whiteside – American Ballet Theatre – photo by @isabellaboylston
Some patrons requested a ballet!AU and a nutcracker!AU around Christmas and so this happened~
Will is a bad tempered and antisocial but extremely talented up and coming dancer who is cast as the Rat King in a high-end short run of the Nutcracker; Hannibal is a well established and skilled dancer who agrees to take the role of Nutcracker Prince for charity despite having little respect for and interest in the production… until he sees Will dance, of course~
I don’t know anything about ballet and I had to look at lots of specific reference to draw this and it’s still not accurate lol, forgive me~~
Some years they stay together, if they’ve gathered for the holidays leading up to New Year’s Eve, I would think at someone’s home that can accommodate a large group or they rent a house somewhere. Whoever is hosting sends out the fanciest invitations, each year the current host tries to one-up the previous year’s card 😉
I’d imagine a gathering would look smtg like this, black-tie affair at times (but they’d bring casual clothes, too):
[^X Henry Patrick Raleigh (1880–1944)]
And they do the stuff they normally do when they gather:
- Coven Game Night where some fool challenges Louis to cards and gets their ass handed back to them, even if/when they attempt to cheat
- exchanging gifts – Daniel and Lestat compete in giving the best gag gifts.
- there’s teasing each other about all the VC books, from the oldest to the most recent “So that ghostwriter of yours-” “DON’T YOU START WITH ME, ARMAND.”
- Sharing pics they’ve taken from their year’s travels
- Watching movies together in fancy screening rooms with couches, blankets, and pillows
- improvised jam sessions for the musicians in the group
- artsy sessions for the artistic ones in the group, although they do invite everyone, and Gabrielle has done a few gorgeous fingerpaintings that Lestat treasures
- dancing to the improvised music or someone DJ’ing recorded music
- BONFIRE and/or FIREWORKS (outside tho!)
- Inviting very special mortal friends over for “drinks,” wherein the mortals are aware and consent to get drunk and then share 😉
- marriage counseling (come on, cabin fever sets in and at least one pairing gets into a fight every time).
- shameless flirting (sometimes causes the fighting that needs marriage counseling)
Other years, they go their separate ways and celebrate NYE on their home territory, or in smaller groupings.